- Location: Stony Brook, NY
- Date Stolen: February 14, 2012
- Date Recovered: March 2, 2012
- Theft: Stolen out of dorm room.
- Missing items: MacBook
- Police reaction: It’s probably going to be sold in Manhattan.
- Time it took for first report to arrive: 10 days
- Once received, time it took for police to recover it: Immediately
- Final thoughts: This program is ridiculously amazing!
Full story below:
My dorm room was left open, and someone was able to just walk in and grab my laptop off of my desk. I immediately marked it missing on my Prey profile, and reported it to campus police, and the officer that came to take my statement told me that it’d probably be sold off in Manhattan somewhere. 10 days later, I received a report from Prey, saying my laptop was in the East Village, and gave me a picture of the guy using it. I sent the information to the detective who had been my correspondant in the case, and the day after, he called me in to sign a statement saying I didn’t let anyone use my laptop at that time. I was then shown the man’s picture, as well as his New York State ID, and his address. I was notified a week later by an NYPD detective that my laptop had been recovered, and the guy that had it had been arrested. I picked it up 2 days later. Although all my personal data (notes, music, etc.) was gone, it still felt pretty good to get the laptop back, and hear that justice had caught up to the guy who had it.