- Location: Portsmouth, England.
- Date Stolen: April 8, 2012
- Date Recovered: April 9, 2012
- Theft: House Burglary.
- Missing items: 13″ Macbook
- Police reaction: They were very impressed that this app existed and worked. After telling them about it, I later heard the officer recommended it around the office!
- Time it took for first report to arrive: The first report arrived roughly 5 hours after the burglary.
- Once received, time it took for police to recover it: Immediately! I was initially dubious as to whether they would take it seriously, or even be allowed to take action on this basis. When I phoned them with the information after receiving the first report, they sent an officer over to me, and a team over to the house the laptop was located at.
- Final thoughts: Ecstatic! I had hoped the laptop would be used and provide reports, but tried not to get my hopes up in case it didn’t work. However it surpassed all my expectations.
Full story below:
Firstly, I apologise for not writing sooner. I had always meant to get around to it!
I got the call from my Mother that our house had been burgled, and left work right away to head back home feeling sick to the stomach. After an initial look around we realised there were thousands of pounds worth of camera’s and equipment, jewelry (Including sentimental and non-replaceable items) electric items and my beloved MacBook. As soon as I noticed the laptop missing, my first thoughts were Prey… I used another computer to login and activate the device as missing and informed the Police Officer who arrived on scene that the laptop may be able to be tracked.
Later on that evening, I received the first email on my phone indicating a report was available for the laptop. The excitement and adrenaline kicked in instantly as I shouted to the other occupants of the house to come quickly! We logged in and were greeted with a pretty clear mugshot of a young woman, a rough location and a screenshot of Facebook with her in the process of filling in her username! We phoned the Police and informed them as to what was happening while we watched further reports being generated. The next ones gave a pretty acurate location, narrowing the houses down to a few and showing her name and email address clearly on Facebook. We could even see a screenshot of her, mid-conversation discussing buying a charger for a laptop she had just got!
Much to my surprise, the Police were very interested and sent a team of officers to the location straight away, and another to our house to check out the details and take a statement. We received word that the officers had arrested the culprit, and seized a number of goods including the laptop all while they were still taking my statement. You can’t ask for much better!
As it turns out, she was only a recipient of the goods, but through her arrest the Police were able to eventually apprehend the burglar and both received punishment, although it was too lenient in my books! :)
My laptop was eventually returned to me by the Police after needing to be kept as evidence, and unfortunately was rather battered and bruised but I was glad to have it back in my posession. It also led to the return of some other cameras and jewelry. The only downside being that the burglar had already got rid of a lot of the Jewelry which was unable to be found.
A big thanks to Prey and the team behind it! Without it, I doubt we would have ever heard anymore. I still keep the reports logged in my account so I can show people just how well it works!