- Location: Santa Fe, Argentina
- Date Stolen: April 28, 2012
- Date Recovered: May 14, 2012
- Theft: Robbed in the street
- Missing items: Macbook Pro + Bluetooth mouse + Bluetooth headsets + Macbook Accessories
- Police reaction: How did you find him?
- Time it took for first report to arrive: 12 days
- Once received, time it took for police to recover it: 4 days
- Final thoughts: Police acting efficiently in Argentina is a rare thing to find so I couldn’t be happier, thanks to Prey!
Full story below:
I was robbed once in my apartment and lost a PC with years of hard work in it, so I Googled for a way to recover my PC and found Prey. After that, when I bought a new Mac, the first thing I installed there was Prey. Last month I was robbed when I was arriving to my apartment and immediately after calling the police marked my Macbook as missing.
Twelve days later without any hope of getting it back, I got an e-mail: “Good news!”. Back then I was working in a city near Santa Fe, so I called my workmates and told them that I found who had my laptop. In the first report a man’s face luckily showed up, a map and a screenshot showing his mail address! With this info they (Police) could find him on Facebook instantly and started asking people that was close to him.
So next day I headed to the Police station and told them about my situation. At that point no one knew the exact location of the building the Mac was in but after some research we came up with his name, street address, uncle’s number, mother’s number, his phone number, cellphone number, employer’s name, work address, etc. It was a computer services’ business which received the laptop to wipe it.
This employee tried hard to get Bootcamp working from the Guest account without success and even tried to reinstall the OS on my Mac (the laptop lacks of internal dvd drive and can’t boot from external drives).
Here in Santa Fe Macs are not common and few people actually know what to do with it. Next monday I received new reports when the business opened and immediately went to the police who showed up there and retrieved the laptop.