- Location: Toronto, Canada
- Date Stolen: Sept 27th, 2011
- Date Recovered: Sept 28th, 2011
- Theft: Break and Enter at my store, an Apple Authorized Service Provider
- Missing items: 2 laptops, 1 x 17″ MacBook Pro, 1 x 13″ MacBook Pro
- Police reaction: Police came and took a report, dusted for fingerprints etc. Prey report arrived while the fingerprint & photograph office was here.
- Time it took for first report to arrive: Reported missing at 11am, report came in at 9pm
- Once received, time it took for police to recover it: Provided police with photo, address and name of person who was using my laptop (I was able to see his name/his computer name in the Finder sidebar via the screen shot Prey took). The police returned both laptops to me less than 48 hours after they had been stolen.
- Final thoughts: I definitely felt like Batman for a day or two.
Full story below:
I own an Apple Authorized Service Provider in Toronto Canada and was burglarized on Monday night at 4am. I set prey off at 10am Tuesday when I got to the store and found out I had been hit. Two laptops, one of them my personal machine, and my petty cash were stolen. At 8:45 Tuesday night Prey sent a report to me, as someone was using my laptop.
I was able to get his user name from the screenshot and find him on Facebook and Twitter etc. I was able to supply the police with his name, date of birth and workplace. The police went to visit him and he had simply been erasing them for a “friend”. The police visited the “friends”, made two arrests, and returned my laptops to me this morning. They are currently chasing down the third person now, the one who actually broke into my store, and are hoping to have him in custody this afternoon.
I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for making such a fantastic product. Both the police and I were blown away at how indispensable Prey was at bringing these people to justice.