- Location: Canada
- Date Stolen: 12th of August, 2017
- Date Recovered: 23rd of September, 2017
- Case: Stolen from my home.
- Missing items: Laptop.
- Police reaction: They said “let us know when it’s online and we’ll go check it out!”
- Time it took for first report to arrive: Instantly.
- Once received, time it took for police to recover it: 6 weeks.
- Final thoughts: It’s good to have my Laptop back but I still feel a little.. violated? There’s also the fact that I’m missing all my other stuff…!
Full story below!
My laptop was stolen from my home, it came online 2 weeks later and my remote desktop software showed that it was online.
I researched the command line install, transferred the msi file over remotely and installed prey remotely.
They did notice that I had access to the computer and terminated my remote capabilities but did not remove Prey.
I worked with my assigned officer to let him know when the laptop was online and where it was (no battery on the laptop, always needed AC power).
We were able to determine the person’s name, email address, and address via screenshots over the course of 3 weeks. The WiFi location was not accurate enough to be 100% certain of the house.
The tipping point was a screenshot of google maps directions from the thief’s house where they entered their exact address.
I let the officer know and had my laptop back that same day.
Key factors that allowed this:
- I didn’t have a password on it as it needed power and never left my home.
- I noticed it come online and was able to execute a silent install via cmd+msi before losing remote control.
- They didn’t wipe the laptop.
- Got a couple key screenshots that gave enough proof to police.