- Location: London, England
- Date: July 2010
- Theft: From motor vehicle – smashed door glass
- Missing items: One HP 15” laptop and bag
- Police reaction: “So you thought hiding it under a coat sufficient, did you Sir?”
- Total recovery time: Two weeks.
Don’t know if you remember our little exchange a month ago. I mentioned that a friend had had their laptop stolen. Well – it was handed into a London police station yesterday.
During this whole saga, I came to realize that it’s not just about getting back the hardware (a decent insurance policy should take care of that) but rather it’s the data that’s been lost or left on the machine that can really hurt.