- Location: Los Angeles, California.
- Date Stolen: April 20, 2012
- Date Recovered: April 27, 2012
- Theft: Car window smashed.
- Missing items: Dell laptop + charger + usb mouse + zune mp3 player
- Police reaction: Not much, happy that I helped do their work
- Time it took for first report to arrive: 6 days.
- Once received, time it took for police to recover it: About a day.
- Final thoughts: Confident in Prey. This experience has made me more prepared with my much more valuable laptop.
Full story below:
A day after my 21st birthday I come home from a friends house at 12:30am. I was woken up by my dad at 7:40am telling me someone broke into my car. I immediately checked where my laptop was hidden and it was missing. I called the police and they arrived after an hour or so. They took my report and even dusted for finger prints. They said they found a few but i knew that some they lifted were my own off the door. I was not hopeful for the prints to return anything and it was looking grim for my laptop as the police had no leads at this point and PREY was not currently installed.
My only hope was that the thief was not smart and had not reformatted my computer. I monitored my remote desktop software hoping that it would come online and I would be able to take it over. I was lucky, because it did. At 1:42pm the day of, the laptop came online. I quickly locked out the thief, got the IP address and began installing PREY.
I was lucky and got PREY installed just before they disconnected the internet and kicked me off. The laptop did not come back on so i had given the police the IP address just in case. 6 days later when I was at school. I received an email from PREY’s automated system telling me the laptop came back on. I got on my phone and looked at the screen shots.
The suspect was signing up for community college. I had their name and address because of prey now. After class I called the police with the updated information and monitored Prey`s activity. The next day the police went out and questioned the suspect. Apparently it was a female who the laptop was given to her by her boyfriend. Couple days later I went down to the police station to get my laptop. The girl did not have anything else, so the police are still investigating to see if i can get the rest of my stuff back and compensation for the window.
So far so good though. I got the most expensive item returned thanks to PREY!