- Location: Santa Barbara, CA
- Date Stolen: January, 2010
- Date Recovered: August 4, 2011
- Theft: Stolen from my apartment, thief borrowed a key from somebody, let
himself in to get his backpack, he saw my laptop and stole it right off my bed in my room.
- Missing items: Apple Macbook Pro 13.3″
- Police reaction: Came and took a standard police report, said he didn’t have much hope of getting it back because they get sold and scrapped quickly when stolen.
- Time it took for first report to arrive: 3 weeks (1 day for the second
incedent! got it back in my hands 39 hours after it was stolen the 2nd time)
- Once received, time it took for police to recover it: 2 hours
- Final thoughts: Prey saved my life in college. I almost had to move home because I had gotten my computer jacked twice. I almost failed 2 of my classes. Lojack didn’t do much to help me out, and Lojack costs money.
Full story below:
Hi guys, just wanted to say thank you so much for helping me recover my stolen computer twice. I wrote a review, it would be great if you could post it somewhere on your site.
My MacBook Pro was stolen and recovered twice with Prey.
#1. I have LoJack and Prey Project installed on my computer. The first time my computer was stolen, there was a “password required” screen whenever the mac was awoken from sleep. Three days later, the computer contacted the monitoring center and snapped 13 pictures of the thief, screenshots of what he was looking at, and his (almost) exact location. I called the police and told them the situation, and forwarded them the information sent to my Prey account. 2 hours later, they had the laptop in their possession.
The guy bought it from MY BEST FRIEND on craigslist for $700 when I had bought it a month before for $1,144. Needless to say, he’s not my friend anymore. He went to jail for a week and I dropped the charges for $5,000. He was found guilty of Grand Theft and Possession of Stolen Property and would have served 6 years in a federal prison if I didn’t settle. LoJack didn’t do anything to recover my computer.
#2. After I DJ’ed a party in a college town, I went to the bathroom. I was gone for 2 minutes. My MacBook got jacked out of the open. I reported it to the police department and got a case number. Within 2 hours of me reporting the laptop stolen on my iPhone, I got a report from prey. I forwarded it to the police department as soon as I got it, 13 hours later my laptop was in their possession and the guy was in cuffs. Again, LoJack didn’t do much to help me out.
Prey Project has saved my laptop and all my valuable files. I’ve had my laptop stolen twice and got it back with this free program. I 100% recommend this service, it has saved me so much. This is the best 60 seconds i’ve ever spent putting software on my computer.