- Location: Salt Lake City, USA
- Date Stolen: September, 2017
- Date Recovered: 1st of February, 2018
- Case: Theft from business.
- Missing items: Windows laptop.
- Time it took for first report to arrive: 1 day.
- Once received, time it took to recover the device: 5 months.
- Final thoughts: It was absolutely rewarding to have a product like Prey work as advertised. It exceeded my expectations on how easy it was to install, configure and manage.
Full story by our user below!
The Former Employee:
We had an asset that was assigned to a former employee, he claimed to have turned it in at the time of release from employment, but we couldn’t find it.
The asset, however, had an SCCM client installed on it and once in a while the client would check-in. So we knew it was online, but we still couldn’t find it.
A couple months went by and the IP address SCCM reports changed to a private IP. So we started researching ways of trying to identify where this asset was. We came across Prey Project and decided to give it a try.
We tested it on one machine, and were pleased with the potential of data, then we saw the Knowledge base article describing the silent-deploy for an MSI package and we built and tested that on another machine.
The results were equally pleasing, and we decided to attempt the deployment of the silent-install MSI to the missing asset. The SCCM client checked in, about a day later, and downloaded and installed the package successfully.
I got the notification that the asset had registered with Prey and I immediately marked it as missing. Within 24 hours, the machine came back online and started producing reports.
With the information in the reports, we were able to identify where the assets was and who was using it. Turned out to be… the former employee. With the help of law enforcement, who showed up at the former employee’s residence with evidence and a search warrant, the asset was recovered.
This product is absolutely excellent and I will be recommending to my superiors that we purchase Pro accounts for future situations like this.